Tuesday 30 January 2018

Coughs and Sneezes spread diseases

Dear All.

It seems we are still in the cold and flu season at the moment which hopefully will be ending quite soon. However, it occurred to me today that although a simple cold or cough can be harmless to most, there are some people that once getting a cough or cold can struggle with their health because they may have a pre existing health condition. 

I have PH and luckily so far this season I’ve only had minor colds. I tend to dread the winter months because of chest infections. Once I get a chest infection I struggle greatly with my breathing and this can therefore knock me off my feet. Several of my friends also have asthma or COPD and so if they catch anything, they too struggle. 

The most annoying part about living with a health condition is that sometimes people do not have consideration for others that have health issues. Although, these people can cope much better with a cough or cold, we don’t. So when someone decides it’s a good idea to sit near us, we do not appreciate it! I sometimes feel that these kind of people do not have the understanding about us and how we try to cope. I know myself when I only had a mild cold this winter, I did feel as though I was somehow having some panic attacks because of the feeling of not being able to breathe. This certainly is not a nice feeling and feel that for me that this fear of not being able to breathe comes from just before having PTE surgery. At the time, there came a lot of trauma about the situation and so some of it has stuck with me. This is the reason that I don’t want people near me if they have got colds or infections. I do not appreciate it. 

Also, what is very annoying about my condition is that most people see me as someone who has had an operation so this apparently means I’m fine in some peoples eyes. Yes I have had an operation but I am not totally cured because of the pressures in my heart from the lungs. I still have a certain amount of scarring left which I now take medication for. Some of these medications actually lower our immunity so can be quite easy to catch things. 

I find there are a rare few that will tell me if they have picked up something and will say to me to steer clear of them. I do not mind this because I know that they are considering my health for me and I’m certainly not offended by this. I much prefer people to tell me. In the meantime, though, I feel I have to be a bit rude and say that I don’t particularly want someone who is ill around or near me. Although, some do NOT take the hint! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Local MP Letter

Dear Readers, So this evening, is an unexpected blog post. I didn’t expect to be writing this. Today, after work, I arrived home to an offic...